BENEFITS OF EXERCISE
1. Bone health – Women lose approx 10% our of bone mass in the 1st 5 years of menopause due to the drop in estrogen & while HRT can help with this by replacing estrogen it is still important to exercise due the natural aging process and loss of muscle mass.
Osteoporosis can occur in 1 in 2 menopausal women. As we have smaller bones in general compared to males, females are at higher risk of breaks.
2. Muscle Mass – it decreases with age (sacropenia) & resistance training will help slow that down & reduce the risk of falls, fracture & frailty as we age.
3. Cardiovascular health -Our risk of CVD increases during & after menopause so regular exercise can help maintain healthy cholesterol & reduce risk of high BP & CVD
4. Estrogen helps regulate serotonin (the happy hormone) so falling levels of estrogen can directly impact your mood but exercise can help you feel better by releasing more of those endorphins which can also as a result relieve stress.
5. Maintain healthy weight. A drop in estrogen causes the redistribution of fat & it normally goes to the stomach which can add to visceral fat & increase risk of CVD, diabetes & cancer. Not all fat gain to the midsection is just as a result of fat distribution but the changes in mood etc can also leave women feeling unmotivated so a decrease in activity, increase in calories & genetics can also exacerbate the fat gain.
6. A study complete in 2016 found that sedentary middle aged woman had significantly worse symptoms than their active counterparts.symptoms included hot flushes, joint pain, depression, anxiety, sexual problems, vaginal dryness & bladder problems. Sedentary women were classified as women who reported they exercised fewer than 3 times a week of physical activity that lasted 30 mins or longer.
So ladies if you are in your 20’s,30’s, 40’s, 50’s & beyond, don’t stop if you have the choice!!
coaching through menopause
If you need help with coaching around nutrition, lifestyle & mindset while navigating through your menopause & into post menopause, send me an email email@example.com & i will get back to you as soon as possible.